Lack of sexual desire or decreased libido as it is also known, refers to, as the name says, loss of sexual interest or lack of response to stimuli that previously caused excitement.
Causes of lack of sexual desire
- Age: The lack of sexual desire increases as the years go by. In the case of men between 30 and 40 years of age, there is a decrease of 10%. In the case of men between 40 and 49 years of age, the decrease is 19%. Men from 50 to 59 years have a decrease of up to 24% and from 60 years it decreases by 34%.
- Loss of sexual interest towards the partner: The lack of sexual desire in these cases is related to relationship problems. Physical changes or a bad relationship can cause one of you to lose interest in having sex with the other person.
- Hypothyroidism: When the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormones it can affect sexual desire, since they regulate the speed at which many processes and reactions take place.
- Testosterone disorder: There are different reasons why the body stops producing testosterone. When the levels are high, the sexual desire is also, whereas if the sexual desire is reduced the libido falls.
- Obesity: Obesity is one of the reasons that influence the production of sex hormones.
- Stress: Stress can affect hormonal production. The chemical processes that occur in the brain and awaken sexual desire do not occur if you are under stress.
- Use of recreational drugs. Using drugs can cause a lot of damage at the hormonal and emotional level, since they directly affect the mood.
Treatments to combat lack of sexual desire should always come from a specialist, since he/she is the one that will know the best combination of drugs, psychological and nutritional support, as well as recommendations for adopting positive habits.